Tarion Warranty Inspection
Fees start at $429.00
Your Newly Constructed Home Comes with a 7 Year Warranty Provided by the Builder and Backed by Tarion
A common misconception is that everything is covered for 7 Years. On the contrary, the 7 Year Warranty has very limited coverage. The One Year Tarion Warranty Inspection is the most comprehensive one, as most defects are not covered after the one year has passed and any repairs will be at your own expense.
These are the three main levels of your Tarion Warranty
(Source: Tarion Corporation Website)
One Year Warranty
- Requires a home is constructed in a workman-like manner and free from defects in material;
- Protects against unauthorized substitutions
- Requires the home to be fit for habitation;
- Protects against Ontario Building Code violations; and
- Applies for one year, beginning on the home’s date of possession even if the home is sold.
Two Year Warranty
- Protects against water penetration through the basement or foundation walls;
- Protects against defects in materials that affect windows, doors and caulking and defects in work that results in water penetration into the building envelope;
- Covers defects in work or materials in the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems;
- Covers defects in work or materials that result in the detachment, displacement or deterioration of exterior cladding (such as brickwork, aluminum or vinyl siding);
- Protects against violations of the Ontario Building Code that affect health and safety; and
- Applies for two years, beginning on the home’s date of possession.
Seven Year Warranty
Your home’s Seven-year warranty covers major structural defects (MSD) and begins on the date you take possession of the home, and ends on the seventh anniversary of that date. For example, if your home’s date of possession is October 23, 2005, the Seven-year MSD warranty begins on October 23, 2005 and remains in effect until and including October 23, 2012.
A major structural defect is defined in the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act as:
In respect of a post-June 30, 2012 home, any defect in work or materials in respect of a building, including a crack, distortion or displacement of a structural load-bearing element of the building, if it,
(i) results in failure of a structural load-bearing element of the building.
(ii) materially and adversely affects the ability of a structural load-bearing element of the building to carry, bear and resist applicable structural loads for the usual and ordinary service life of the element.
(iii) materially and adversely affects the use of a significant portion of the building for usual and ordinary purposes of a residential dwelling and having regard to any specific use provisions set out in the purchase agreement for the home.
The Seven-year MSD warranty includes significant damage due to soil movement, major cracks in basement walls, collapse or serious distortion of joints or roof structure and chemical failure of materials. In addition to the general exclusions, the Seven-year MSD warranty specifically excludes: dampness not arising from failure of a load-bearing portion of the building; damage to drains or services; and damage to finishes.
Radon and Your Warranty
Radon is an invisible, odorless, naturally occurring gas found in soil. It seeps into homes through cracks in floors, walls and foundations – access points mainly found in basements. Since radon is naturally occurring, it’s found in just about every home.
However, high concentrations of radon in a home may pose health risks. According to Health Canada, people exposed to radon levels in excess of 200 Becquerels per cubic metre (becquerels are a unit of measurement for radioactivity) over long periods of time have a higher risk of developing cancer.
For all purchase agreements signed on or after February 1, 2021, there is up to $50,000 coverage for warranted damage caused environmentally harmful substances or hazards. This coverage includes mitigation of excessive levels of radon. The warranty covers remediation of radon gas in excess of 200 Becquerels per cubic metre and coverage lasts for up to seven years.
(Source: Tarion Corporation Website).